Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Arm Chair Debrief III (In the begenning)

http://www.fallenheroesmemorial.com/oif/profiles/molinabautistajorgea.html
You look at that for a moment and breathe in the memory of a guy you used to know. It has been five years since he was killed, in a week. Seven years ago I was a seventeen year old Karate assistant instructor, his son was in one of my classes and Ssgt. Molina was one of my recruiters. I would watch the Ssgt. watch his son, always with pride on Fridays and a Sunday tournament. Once I brought a curious friend into the office and after Ssgt. Molina went on a half hour rant about his love for his Corps, my friend signed up. I heard about Ssgt. Molina’s death after I returned from Fallujah II. When I asked what had ever happened to him another Ssgt. and friend of his looked at me sadly and said that Ssgt. Molina was killed around the time of Fallujah I. 2004 was a miserable year to be stationed in Iraq’s Al Anbar Province, the next piece will begin in the city of Fallujah Iraq January 2004. Where, at the time I am attending a New Years Eve celebration on the Las Vegas strip while on leave from Infantry training. The ball dropped, I kissed my woman, and the countdown began on dozens of lives I had been surrounded by.

No comments:

Post a Comment