Friday, May 10, 2013

Grunt Circles


(Read at The Headstrong Project's fundraising event Words of War at IAC HQ in NYC)


When that airplane hit the tarmac
I hit the ground running;
the confusion
of
a
wild
pack
biting at my heels
chasing me in circles,
on
    that
           tarmac.

Electric death clouds
chase me too
rain blood
and that flight crew
waive neon sticks
guiding me the wrong way,
again.

She was a favorite holiday
all of those beautiful bursting explosions
a smell of sulfur hung in my sniffer,

you are not beautiful anymore

the wild pack is exhausting
lost in these endless circles
and I keep saying,

ONE OF THESE DAYS WE’LL GET IT!

when I am weighed down
with a double combat load
and no soul to share the weight

Crooked liberals and crooked conservatives
throw me up on a flag
and
     tell me
what you were,

when I was
the only soul to see,

Liberty can find me in a dive bar;
on a trashy street corner,
maybe in politics or on a dance floor,
down seven sheets again.

Let me tell you
a
little
story
called
the Battle of Fallujah!

the war was easy like birthday gifts
you just show up
and unwrap your surprise.

you can find me
in
your
dreams,

I am your brother

Screaming is the quietest thing children
have
    ever
seen

I am your father.

but the surprise about that tarmac
that has me running in circles;

this place is not in a combat zone,
this is
what I call
                              coming
           home.

1 comment: