Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Kat Dog

She made me smile and I wondered, “What’s wrong with that?” She is stunningly beautiful with a dog who stands on its head while chewing on its tail. We go on adventures together deep in the city of Portland. Sometimes you can find us in the back corner of a basement bar and other times we walk out of the city into the green, and we smile and laugh and during these moments I can forget the hard times.
Van Gough hangs on the walls of her apartment while I watch Craig Ferguson and she stands in the turn of the century doorway with the hand crafted molding, smiling at a dumb Neanderthal giggling at a Scotsman. I read, “The Catcher and the Rye” while she works at her computer and I enjoy the story but feel something deep for the protagonist who killed Lennon. If a person can hold out long enough after the world collapses it will put itself back together again. We can smile again and hope in ways that we did when we were young.
Life is as made up as a story book and I think about all of the time I spent not being alive before I was alive. The sound of rifle clatter comes as quick as it goes and for the rest of consciousness it will be there waiting, reminding us that we can always chase the dragon, or give it up and move along. Either way it will spin. And out of the nothingness comes a dog, walking on its head and biting at its tail and I laugh while she smiles because the dog is just like us.

1 comment: